It’s that time of year again. When our houses are lit a little brighter, our Starbucks cups turn red, and our Facebook feeds are filled with pictures of elves on shelves doing crazy things. During this time of year, there is one question that ALWAYS must be answered…what present should I get my wife for Christmas?
Top 5 list: Worst gift ideas
- Anything that is actually a present for YOU. Does she really want that 60” TV? Would she really enjoy 2 tickets to the Falcons game? Did she ask for sexy lingerie? Come on…give her something that SHE wants…not you.
- Something you were already planning to buy. Let’s imagine you had both discussed the idea of buying something and both agreed that you should do it…but you just hadn’t gotten around to do it yet. Buying it as a gift and wrapping it up under the tree is a great way to get out of having to buy something else, but is that really showing her love…if you were already going to give her it anyway?
- Something that shows you didn’t put much thought into it. A gift card, generic jewelry, a box of chocolate…these don’t typically show that you thought much about what to get her…UNLESS those are things she actually wants. But generally, if a gift is easy, convenient and doesn’t show much thought, it’s not going to convey that you were thinking about her much.
- Something UNDER her expectations. Your wife is going to have some sort of expectation of the cost of the present she’s being given. If you typically spend about $200 on each other, but this year to save money you buy a couple $25 sweaters and call it a day, she’s probably going to be disappointed. If money is tight, talk about it beforehand so you both are on the same page. Also, it’s worth noting that many gifts have a “cost” to them without that cost being monetary. These are often some of the best gifts. Just don’t let her feel short changed that you didn’t spend enough money/time/effort on getting her a gift.
- Something that sends a negative message. Don’t get your wife a scale, a gym membership, or something that shows you want her to change. Unless it is something she specifically asked for, it could easily make her feel worse.
Top 5 list: Best gift ideas
- Something she actually wants. Put some effort into figuring out what she wants. Maybe you take note of things she mentions over time. Or maybe you get a list of ideas from her. Either way, she is going to appreciate getting something that she actually wants.
- Something that shows you put thought or effort into it. Some of the best gifts are the ones that you can’t order from Amazon. If you put a lot of time and effort into making something for her, chances are she is going to appreciate it no matter what it is.
- Something that will make her think of you. A DVD she wants is fine. A bag of her favorite candy is cool. But a gift that makes her remember YOU every time she sees it or uses it will be much better.
- Something OVER her expectations. If she’s anticipating you buying her an iPad, get her a scarf to go with it. Or…if she’s expecting a regular gift from the mall, put a lot of thought into a special gift that you make. If you normally spend around $200, every once in a while go big if there is a perfect gift idea that costs more. Obviously, it’s important to be financially responsible and you shouldn’t spend money you don’t have. But, sometimes it can mean a lot to do a little more than what she expects.
- An experience, rather than a product. A special date night, a weekend getaway, dance or art lessons, going skydiving. These are ideas that will create memories together which can last a long time.